Friday 14 June 2019

The Bovine Patch Chronicles Part IV: 4 Weeks Out


Woohoo - today I am 4 weeks post-op & feeling like it! 

I'm comfortably walking 1.5km a day & although my recovery book still suggests that distance for another week, I'm feeling good enough to kick it up a notch & see how I go with 2km. My range of movement isn't 100% but I have enough back to not struggle as much with things like drying myself off after a shower or putting my seat belt on. I'm still restricted with what I lift. For the next 2 weeks I am completely restricted, not able to hang out heavy washing or take the bin out. Following the next fortnight though, I can gradually work up to lifting heavier things but all up it will still take another 8 weeks from now until I can start to get anywhere near back to normal. LONG ASS ROAD.

Today I was able to convince my GP to give me a driving clearance. I had to do an interesting jumping test. No joke, they make you jump on the spot & if you don't have pain, they allow your licence back after a minimum period (funnily enough, 4 weeks). So I held onto the girls & jumped on the spot, confident because I wanted my licence back but also waiting for my chest to cave in because, fear. Obviously I can't go road-tripping but I will be able to take Charli to daycare & get myself to the doctor & local shop if I need to. It's a massive turning point for me to have some independence & freedom back. I imagine it will be another taxing task that will add to the soreness at the end of each day but it is totally worth it.

So pre-op I joined the gym. I was advised to get my leg strength up as I wouldn't be able to use my arms to get out of bed or off the couch, I also have to get up completely to readjust myself every time I want to shift the way I am sitting... So I went & smashed my legs for weeks leading up to surgery. I'm so glad I did I have to pick anything up off the floor by squatting & I'm able to get up off the floor without needing to hold onto anything. This has been wonderful in cheating my recovery book a little. The book stated I shouldn't have a bath for at least 8-12 weeks post op as I can't start to support any of my weight until around then. Yeah, nope. The bath is my haven - any time I feel anxious the bath is one of my first go-to's, I read in there & still jump in with Charli a lot. This week I couldn't wait any longer so Jake & I tested it out while the tub was dry. It was a little sketchy & I almost didn't try it again but I caved and thanks to my crippling work outs I can twist & stand on my own from laying in the bath. Like a bad-ass. So that is one exciting step back to normal life & I've enjoyed 4 already - reading books, singing "Let it Go" with Charli & fighting Nelson away as he tried to drink my bath water. On a serious note though, it is really hard to properly hug & do things with Charli at the moment & being able to be close to her & wash her hair, which we make funny, has been a real mood-lifter.

On the subject, mentally & emotionally I am better. Certainly far from 100% & mostly struggling at night time. I find it hard to concentrate so distracting myself with a book or show is actually really frustrating & often makes me feel worse, so I cry while Jake snores beside me, already better for the fact that he still chooses to sleep on the couch next to me instead of in the comfy new bed we bought so recently. 

I think my sleeping arrangement had a lot to do with how I am feeling - I can't lay flat on my back - the pain is actually excruciating & my side although not ridiculously painful is way too uncomfortable to sleep on any time soon. I'm a stomach sleeping through & through & not being able to stretch out my very tight, very sore back is frustrating beyond belief. The GP confessed today that it can often take up to 3 months before I can lay flat for a start. By night time I am tired & super sore. I don't want to be on heavy painkillers but panadol is pathetic & I am banned from having nurofen for a while yet. So I've been having half of an endone on the nights where I can't fall asleep without it. It's currently a fine line between trying to stretch & strengthen during the day but not so much that I am aching through my whole chest at night. On the bright side, I was cleared to have my neck, shoulders & upper back massaged as long as I am in a chair & not laying down (obviously!) I'll be seeing the lovely, i.e. TERRIFYING ladies at the local massage place in the next week to try & alleviate some of those issues.

I also got the shits with having my hair not properly washed (my drain sites are still a little yuck & the GP doesn't want them to be wet where possible & it was also hard to wash my hair properly at the length & thickness it was, hands above head is also still a stretch. Soooo, I cut it all off. I can't actually tie it back its so short & I'm loving the ease & lightness at the moment. Thankfully Jake liked the surprise... It was a surprise for me too - I went to the salon to get a nice proper wash & walked out missing several inches off my hair.

So really things are going pretty good. I cannot believe I hae come so far in so little time & the horror of the hospital & first week home seem like a lifetime ago. Thanks so much again everyone for all of your support & love in what has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment